MORE OHIO NEWS
News from region's first prime-time newscast. You'll find it First On Fox!
ER visits, poison control calls for carbon monoxide exposure escalate; officials urge caution
Reported by: Associated Press
Reported: Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:20 PM EST
Ohio officials are drawing attention to the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure after a higher than usual annual increase in emergency room visits and poison-control calls related to the colorless, odorless gas.
They suggest these safety tips:
—Install a battery-powered CO detector in your home and check it every six months.
—Have your heating system, water heater and other gas, oil and coal-burning appliances serviced annually.
—Never run a car inside a garage attached to the house.
—Never heat your house with a gas oven.
Online: State Fire Marshall: http://www.com.ohio.gov/documents/fire_CarbonMonoxide.pdf
Centers for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov/co/guidelines.htm
Department of Health: http://www.odh.ohio.gov/features/odhfeatures/codangers.aspx