MORE KENTUCKY NEWS
News from the region's first prime-time newscast. You'll find it First On Fox!
Kentucky labor officials warn of increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in winter
Reported by: Associated Press
Reported: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:31 AM EST
Kentucky labor officials are warning that wintry weather can increase the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning in the workplace.
State Labor Cabinet Secretary Larry Roberts says carbon monoxide is so dangerous because it doesn't have an odor or a taste. He says it becomes an increased hazard when workplaces shut windows and doors to keep out the cold weather.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that each year, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for about 450 unintentional deaths in the U.S. and more than 20,000 emergency department visits.